Never abandon a floating vessel without orders from the Captain.
When the order to abandon ship is given, the following duties will be assigned:
- Grab ACR food ditch bag and MSR dromedary bags.
- Detach ACR EPIRB from above chart table and place in ditch bag pocket.
- Grab handheld VHF radios, passports, and boat documentation.
- Follow MAYDAY distress call procedures. (Distress button on VHF and SSB followed with voice on VHF 16 and both 2182, 4125 on SSB.)
- Activate ACR EPIRB that’s been connected to GPS above chart table.
- Ready flare container and ditch bag from the starboard life raft cockpit locker.
- Deploy the life raft, ensuring that it is secured to the boat
- As time permits, secure extra water, floatation cushions, paddles, food, blankets, logbook, and selected personal items.
- Board life raft and secure harnesses.
- Activate 2nd (older) EPIRB 3-12 hours later.